- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 100g/3½oz golden caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 unwaxed orange, finely grated zest only
- 50g/1¾oz milk chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 275g/9¼oz plain flour
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease two baking trays with a little butter.
Put the butter in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric hand whisk until soft. Add the sugar and beat again until very creamy. Beat in the egg until combined.
Stir in the orange zest, chocolate and flour. Use your hands to make the dough into a ball.
Divide the dough into quarters and roll each quarter into a sausage shape, about 10cm/4 inches long and 4cm/1½ inches wide. Slice each log into 6 equal pieces; you will have a total of 24 biscuits. Make sure each biscuit is a circle shape, then press it down slightly with your hands and place it on the prepared baking trays.
Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until golden-brown around the edges. Use a palette knife to lift the biscuits onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.